About Us:

We are a group of Duke juniors who will be spending the fall semester in a small town in France called Aix En Provence. During our time in Aix, we hope to travel around France and Europe VERY often, become fluent in French, and join a french hiking club - among other adventures. We also want to keep in touch with you (our dear loved ones)! So we hope you enjoy our blog.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Maggie's French Food Diary

Sara and I just got back from an emergency Nutella run, so now seems as good a time to blog as ever.  


I feel like on the outset, I should say that the theme of this post is food.  So there.


Two nights ago during our dinner with our French family, the son (Cristophe) made sushi.  I don't really like sushi, but it was very good (for sushi...).  We also had tomatoes with mozzarella (much more my style) and wait...for...it.......


CREPES!!!!!!!!!


I ate three (2 Nutellas, 1 strawberry jam).  But then they (the crepes) just stared at me looking all lonely and so I decided to go for the fourth.  At that moment, everyone started staring at me (YIKES) and the host mom sort of called me out (in a nice way though).  So I was quite flustered (as you can imagine).  But I stayed focus and I finished it.  So there.  And I'm glad I did, I didn't feel sick later at all. #winning


Last night (after a very long/tiring/hot while at the same time edifying walking tour of Aix) Sara and I went to our soirée oenologie (wine tasting night) at a vineyard about 20 minutes outside of Aix.  We got a tour of the wine press area (unfortunately it involved many more machines and not as many people stomping the grapes as I had hoped).  Then we sampled grape juice (delicious), then half grape juice half wine (my favorite for the night), then 2 Rosé wines (the area's speciality) and 2 reds.  I preferred the first Rosé the most.  Then we went outside, watched the sunset over the vineyards, and had hors d'oeuvres.  They served us chèvre, comté, emmethal, grape tomates, pâté, and tapenades (green and black).  It was all extremely delicious and delightful.  Last night was a very good night for food.


Today was market day and I bought some fruit.  And of course Madelines (sadly no chocolate today).  But then I came home and realized that all of my peaches were going off so I thought and in a flash of genius (!) I decided to make cobbler.  Well, really a peach crumble.  It was delicious.  Sara and I snacked on it this afternoon and plan on having it for our breakfast tomorrow.  What a wonderful way to start one's day - peach cobbler!!


Tomorrow I'm off to Paris for the weekend.  I am going with two Vanderbilt friends and we are staying in Montmartre (my favorite area of Paris, also where the filmed Amelie).  Sara will also be in Paris with a Duke friend, Karen.  And another Duke friend, Katherine, will be there too.  Hopefully we will all be able to meet up!


"I wish I was hungry. I just want to eat stuff." - Sara Adam



Everyone loves the markets!  Even les escargots (the snails)!
Maggie and Sara in front of a vineyard...at sunset
Hors D'oeuvres!!

No comments:

Post a Comment