About Us:

We are a group of Duke juniors who will be spending the fall semester in a small town in France called Aix En Provence. During our time in Aix, we hope to travel around France and Europe VERY often, become fluent in French, and join a french hiking club - among other adventures. We also want to keep in touch with you (our dear loved ones)! So we hope you enjoy our blog.

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Fountain, A Very(!!!!!) Early Morning, and A Second Lucky Pot

Aix is famous for many things.  Calissons (candies that I mentioned before), the wonderful clear light, the Mistral, the open-air markets, and even olive oil.  The one thing that I love best about it however is the fountains.  The name Aix is a contraction of Aquae Sextius (the waters of Sextius, the Roman General who controlled Provence during the Roman Empire) so it is only natural that this city would have tons of fountains.  And what does one do when confronted with so many beautiful fountains?  Wash your hands in them (as I saw a marchand - seller at the market - do yesterday morning)?  Drink from them (all the fountains have water that is drinkable - unless it says otherwise)?  Nope - those options are for squares!  You dance in them of course!!!  To be perfectly fair, the whole dancing in fountain thing was my mom's idea (a fan of the Great Gatsby - book and movie - the idea has been in her head for years).  And as the wonderful daughter that I am, I decided to make her proud and dance in a fountain.  

So Thursday night (after dessert and drinks) a few of us went to a fountain with 4 dolphin statues near the Vanderbilt center where we take our classes and we jumped in.  The water was very cold - but I had dressed accordingly, in a dress (my patagonia one - so it was basically made for this type of activity) so I wouldn't have to walk home in wet pants.  Like I said we jumped in and took some pictures (I need to show my mom proof after all).  After about 15 minutes of goofing off (and getting stared down by incredulous/no fun/snooty french people) a police car rounded the corner.  We all got very quiet as the cop car slowed down and the police stared at us as if to say "Get out of that fountain you silly Americans".  So we did and they left.  No big deal.  Disaster averted.

The rest of the weekend went well - not as interesting as the fountain times though.  We had plans to go to Cassis Saturday morning so I got up at 6:20 am.  It was rough.  When I walked by the market (Saturday is the biggest market day) the stall owners were setting up.  It was pretty cool to see so much activity and movement in the predawn morning - but I don't think I'll wake up again that early.  Unfortunately after the morning market tour our Cassis plans fell through.  But the rest of Saturday was pretty chill.  I was abandoned by everyone else in my auberge (they were all out of town in various parts of Europe) so I got to hang out at the auberge and do my own thing.

I went over to some friends' apartment for dinner and a movie.  The dinner was a blast!  We talked about Harry Potter - so that was wonderful.  After dinner we watched Miracle - a movie about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team and how they were the ultimate underdogs against the USSR.  Then I went to sleep.  

The next day, Sunday, I went to church (not a church I will repeat though - think 2 hours in FRENCH - I probably couldn't last that long at a service in English), shopped at the marché, cooked, cleaned, watched 2 Modern Familys and a Glee, cleaned some more, and cooked some more.  Then around 7 pm Auberge Bellegarde (aka just me this weekend) hosted its first lucky pot (for those who may not remember "lucky pot" is french for pot luck - but not really, it is just the term our colloq (housemate) Renaud decided to use)!!!  Luckily Sara arrived just before people got there.  I made pasta with tomato sauce and sautéed zucchini.  Twas delish - so much so, that I hardly got any.  Alex (a vandy friend) brought a delicious tarte aux framboises (raspberry tart) from the 24 hour boulange (again, the place where all things good originate).  I was very glad she brought it.  There was also tons tons tons of cheese (which contributed greatly to the lucky pot's success, I think).  So all in all it was a fun time.  Lucky pots and dessert/drinks nights are just great ways to hang out with people here.  

As you can clearly read, this past weekend was indeed aixcellent, aixtraordinary, and aixtremely fun.  HA!!


La Fontaine des Quatre Dauphins: by day, beautiful example of Aixoise charm
La Fontaine des Quatre Dauphins: by night, hippest spot in Aix

No comments:

Post a Comment