About Us:

We are a group of Duke juniors who will be spending the fall semester in a small town in France called Aix En Provence. During our time in Aix, we hope to travel around France and Europe VERY often, become fluent in French, and join a french hiking club - among other adventures. We also want to keep in touch with you (our dear loved ones)! So we hope you enjoy our blog.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Things I have learned and taught

Three hours a week (the painfully early 8-11am Thursday block) I volunteer in English classes at a neighborhood middle school.  Despite the fact that I have to get up at 7 and leave the house just as the sun as rising, I really enjoy the classes I work with.  I work with kids in 5ieme and 6ieme (the American equivalent of 6th and 7th graders) who are 11-12.  Usually I just check over their work (I cover half the room while their professor covers the other half) or I write English words on the white board or they ask me simple questions having to do with their vocabulary lesson (like Are their theaters in your city?  How many sisters do you have?....).  Today was super fun though because I was asked to explain Halloween to the younger group (11 year olds).  I had to speak clearly and slowly and give a simple explanation.  I talked about costumes, candy, jack o lanterns and "trick or treat".  They seemed pretty interested.  My favorite part was when one student asked me if people eat fondue on Halloween.  I thought it was kind of a funny question and answered "no, not necessarily.  You might eat it at a Halloween party though".  I also decided that fondue will be a new Halloween dinner tradition - both chocolate and cheese of course.  

Some funny moments that have also happened: 

- Last week one girl combined "frog" and "fly" to make "flog".  
- The children have trouble with "h"s so whenever they try to say horse it sounds like "oooooorse".  It's pretty cute/funny until I remember that is probably what I sound like every time I open my mouth...
- This isn't funny as much as it is interesting.  My provence teacher told us yesterday that our word "courage" comes from the french word "coeur" meaning heart.  It blew my mind!!!!

After break (so Nov 3) I am supposed to tell the kids about the British holiday Guy Fawkes Night - which as far as I can tell is a night when British people have parties and burn effigies of Guy Fawkes - a malcontent who tried to blow up Parliament in 1605. Sort of along the lines of V for Vendetta if you have seen that movie.  I hope later in November I get to tell them about Thanksgiving.  The only down side is that talking about all of these American holidays makes me kind of sad that I won't be able to celebrate them properly with my family and friends.  Oh well.  That being said we may or may not be having a Halloween party (complete with candy and costumes) and the end of break.  I hope it happens!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment