About Us:

We are a group of Duke juniors who will be spending the fall semester in a small town in France called Aix En Provence. During our time in Aix, we hope to travel around France and Europe VERY often, become fluent in French, and join a french hiking club - among other adventures. We also want to keep in touch with you (our dear loved ones)! So we hope you enjoy our blog.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1: let the Christmas cheer commence in earnest!!!

Today I went to the school for my volunteering gig and it was wonderful - mostly because we planned the Christmas party we are going to have next week.  Sadly, next Thursday is my last week with the kids.  But at least there will be a party.  The teacher and kids shouted out ideas of traditional American and Provençal foods that people can bring in.  Here is a copy of what was suggested:


- cookies: traditional enough
- brownies: less traditional, but more delicious - so I'm for it
- clementines: though bought from Spain, these are traditional Provençal yuletide fare
- calissons: traditional Provencal candies - a bit like marzipan but infinitely better
- nougat: pretty good
- pain d'epices: gingerbread (my personal fave), one of the kids even suggested bonhommes (literally good men - aka gingerbread men)
- 13 desserts: the Provençal Christmas dessert - don't get too excited (as I did when I first heard of it and imagined a table piled with sweets), Provence considers nuts and fruits as dessert (meaning almonds count as a dessert here) - so NO, not my preference
- pumpkin pie: I didn't have the heart to tell them this wasn't actually Christmas food - they were so excited
- pancakes: I am not sure if they meant crèpes, or American (superior) style pancakes - sadly neither are traditional Chirstmasy food, but again I didn't want to be a scrooge - so I went along with it


If all the kids bring what they signed up to bring this will be a party to remember - with tons tons tons of delicious food (and hopefully no nefarious nuts pretending to be desserts...).  I am very very excited.


Also Emily and I made the Ultimate Christmas playlist today!  Among other songs it includes the Muppets singing 12 days of Christmas (how could that not be brilliant) and four (yes four) versions of Good King Wenceslas (one played by Banjorama, one by an Irish group) and Winter Winds by Mumford and Sons (not technically Christmas, but wonderful nonetheless).


May your day be filled with Christmas cheer!


I didn't actually take this photo, but who doesn't love a prancing pug in Christmas attire.

I took this picture: it's the Christmas lights on the Cours Mirabeau

No comments:

Post a Comment